This time of year many of us spend a lot of time on the internet for work, play and shopping. Even though I have written several articles about the “FAKE AV” Virus every week I hear about another customer who has gotten the virus.
Here are my top ten tips to avoid viruses and malware.
- Have an up-to-date “Paid” Antivirus. The free ones are just not as good.
- Have all your Windows Update or Patches applied
- Do not allow add-ins or pop ups from unfamiliar sites to install in your browser
- Scan your computer with Adaware to remove spyware
- Avoid downloads except trusted sites like Adobe, Java and Microsoft
- Free online games are filled with spyware. Avoid them.
- Facebook is OK but watch installing unknown APPLICATIONS
- If you get a pop up that looks like a REAL ANTIVIRUS screen “Beware”
a. It may be a FAKE AV virus
b. Turn off the PC immediately
c. Use System Restore to get rid of it
d. Run Malwarebytes scan to make sure you cleaned it
- Remove unneeded programs, startups and toolbars
- Never put your Credit Ccard info on a page without a “LOCK” in the address bar
While no one can avoid every possible way the viruses get in, using safe surfing tip like I have here you will be a much harder target for those despicable virus attackers.
Written by: Mark Richmond 12/8/2010